Radio shock jock Howard Stern hammered CNN on his show this week, accusing the cable network of running a misleading story asserting that Stern had confirmed that the Iraq War was supported by Donald Trump and said on his show.
CNN.com ran a story on September 29 with the headline “Howard Stern Says Trump Backed Iraq War In 2002.” However, Stern explained on his radio show Monday that he doesn’t know “how CNN came up with that headline.”
“I got so upset because, you know, let’s face it, tapes from our show featuring Donald Trump have been used in the campaign,” Stern said on his program earlier this week, according to a transcript from the Daily Caller. “And the other day, I was talking to Robin on the air, and I said to her, yeah, you know it was really surreal sorta laying there in bed and watching them mention my name on the debate. And I said — basically for people who might not be aware — I said, ‘Yeah, Trump was on our show, and he was talking — I asked him about the Iraq war, and he said that he was for it.’”
“So, then there was a big screaming headline on CNN: ‘Howard Stern Now Confirms’… This was on CNN … I said nothing new,” Stern added. “And so I emailed Trump and I wanted to explain to him that, uh, that is not what I said.”
Stern said the only aspect of the story that he can confirm as fact is that the tape, which was first uncovered by Buzzfeed, is, in fact, from his show.
“That much I can confirm,” Stern said. That’s all I was saying. That’s why they mentioned me at the debate. But I don’t know how CNN came up with that headline.